Welcome to the Handmade Dress Up Series! Please subscribe or follow on Twitter or Facebook so you don’t miss the other 27 bloggers and their wonderful tutorials! Like what you see? Please PIN it or Stumble it! Thanks!
Next up, an IPhone or IPod costume tutorial from Jess! Such a fun idea!
If any of you have kids like mine, they love technology. My one-year-old absolutely loves to take my iPod [he could even say iPod before he could say his big brother’s name!] so I thought it would be so much fun to make him an iPod costume! This tutorial is super easy and could even be completely no sew. I made the costume so that it’s easy to get on and off, and could also be put over a winter coat if necessary… because in Wisconsin, you just never know!
- Black fabric – I suggest using jersey knit, felt, or fleece so that you don’t have to finish the edges. I love to upcycle, so I used the back of a men’s T-Shirt. [If you want to make this a no-sew project, just use a black T-Shirt that your child will wear instead.]
- Sewing machine/thread
- Fabric Glue [I like Liquid Stitch]
- White and grey felt/knit/fleece for making the “screen”
- Fabric Marker – I suggest white/silver/grey – I used one with glitter!
2. Cut a strip of the same fabric a couple inches wide and long enough to drape over your child’s neck – mine was about 11in. Fold it in half and zig zag along the long side to sew it into a long tube. Turn the tube right side out, like in the picture.
4. Attach velcro to the other end of the strap (you can sew it on or use fabric glue). Hold it up to your child to see where the strap will fit comfortably around your child’s neck before attaching the other Velcro piece to the main piece of fabric. When it’s done, it should look like the picture above.
**For safety purposes, I recommend using Velcro, not sewing on both ends of the strap. This will prevent the risk of choking.
Thanks so much for having me, Andrea! I love The Train to Crazy, so it’s a joy to be here today! I hope you’ll hop over to my blog to see some of my own craziness. If you’re feeling the fall weather like we are here, try my favorite potato leek soup and maybe sprucing up your sweater wardrobe with my pullover to ruffled cardigan refashion. I hope you’ll join me! See you soon!
Check out the other Handmade Dress Up tutorials!