Learn how to make spooky Halloween brownies for your school Halloween party or office party. Halloween graveyard brownies (RIP brownies) are made from box brownie mix with a little extra! The headstones are made with Milano cookies and icing.
This post contains affiliate links.
Why You'll Love This Spooky Halloween Treat
- Notable: These graveyard brownies are quick and easy and taste delicious. Make these with your favorite brownie batter and your favorite Milano cookie flavor.
- Time: Prep and assembly time takes only 10 minutes! Plus the brownie cookie time. These are very easy.
- Equipment: No special equipment required.
- Occasion: home Halloween party for kids, school Halloween party or office Halloween party
Looking for cute Halloween treats? These 19 fun Halloween recipes will delight the kids!
Full dessert ingredient measurements and amounts are found in the recipe card below.
- boxed brownie mix (and ingredients required for your box of brownies which usually includes large eggs, vegetable oil and water)
- chocolate chips
- Milano cookies
- Black gel icing for decorating the Milano cookies
- vegetable oil
- Use your favorite homemade brownie recipe instead of boxed brownies.
- Substitute chocolate sprinkles instead of crunched up Oreos as dirt.
- Use a cake base instead of brownies.
- Use melted butter in your brownies instead of vegetable oil.
- Add frosting to the top of brownies before adding gravestone.
Full step-by-step instructions for this Halloween recipe are in the recipe card below. You can print or save to Pinterest for later.
Make Brownies: Line an 8 inch baking dish with parchment paper so you can easily remove brownies once cooked. Using a large mixing bowl, whisk brownie recipe dry ingredients and wet ingredients plus ½ cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips.. Stir until just combined. Do not overmix. Pour your brownie mixture into your pan and spread evenly with a spatula. Cook at the oven temperature and time suggested on your brownie batter box. Set aside to cool.
Decorate Headstone: While the brownies are baking, use the black gel icing to write RIP on the top of the Milano cookies. Set aside to dry on a baking rack.
Finish Spooky Brownies: Cut brownies into 12 equal rectangles. Insert a milano cookie into the top of each brownie as a headstone. Spread a teaspoon of crushed oreo crumbs in front of each headstone to simulate a pile of dirt.
Serve this fun Halloween treat on a platter. This is an easy Halloween treat to make for any type of party where you need to serve Halloween desserts. Kids will love these.
Variations for Spooky Halloween Brownies
- Add candy eyes to the top of the brownies.
- Frost the brownie and add a small gummy worm coming out of the ground with the headstone.
- Use candy body parts to stage coming out of the ground with the headstone.
- Make cupcakes instead of brownies.
- Creative ideas for headstones besides RIP could be EEK or BOO and mini candy pumpkins look cute sitting next to the headstones.
Frequently Asked Questions
Brownies with a higher fat content and more chocolate have a fudgier texture. Brownies with more flour have a chewy texture.
Yes, you can use melted butter instead of oil in a brownie mix.
More Recipes You'll Love
If you love easy halloween desserts and fall desserts, try these 2 ingredient pumpkin donuts. Or try one of these:
- 1 box brownie mix (plus ingredients for making the brownies)
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 12 Milano cookies
- 1 black decorating gel icing
- 5 oreos (filling removed)
- Preheat oven to the temperature required on your box of brownies. Line an 8x8-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl or large bowl, stir brownie mix and add-ins required (usually eggs, water and oil). Add chocolate chips. Stir until just combined. Pour brownie batter into the prepared pan and bake as directed.
- While brownies are baking, use your black decorating gel icing and write "RIP" on the top of the Milano cookies. Set on a drying rack for the icing to harden.
- Crumble the Oreo cookies to make the "dirt".
- When brownies are done, remove from the oven and cool enough to remove from the pan. Cut into 12 rectangles.
- Insert a Milano cookie headstone into the top of the brownie carefully.
- Add a teaspoon of Oreo cookie crumbles in front of the headstone to look like fresh dirt.