Make these moist homemade pumpkin bars from scratch. Make with applesauce and pumpkin puree and top with white chocolate and pecans. This easy pumpkin bar recipe has a great pumpkin flavor with just the right amount of spice and nuts.
If you love pumpkin and pecans, try these pumpkin pancakes with pecans and chocolate chips.
Full ingredient measurements and step-by-step instructions for these healthy pumpkin bars are in the recipe card below.
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- baking soda
- light brown sugar
- pumpkin puree (Libby's Pumpkin Puree)
- unsweetened applesauce
- vanilla extract
- white chocolate chips
- finely chopped pecans
- pumpkin pie spice (pumpkin spice)
- ground cinnamon
How To Make Pumpkin Bars Gluten Free
This pumpkin bar recipe can be easily adapted to a gluten free recipe.
- Substitute the all-purpose flour for a gluten free all-purpose flour mixture that includes xanthan gum. I prefer King Arthur's brand.
- Insure your baking powder is gluten free.
Full step-by-step instructions are in the recipe card below. You can print or save to Pinterest for later.
Prep: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking dish. Measure ingredients and set aside.
Mix Wet Ingredients: In a large bowl, add all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, ground cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice. Whisk to combine.
Mix Dry Ingredients: Add eggs to a medium bowl. Whisk until frothy. It's helpful to use an electric mixer (stand mixer or hand mixer). Add sugar, brown sugar, pumpkin puree, vanilla extract and applesauce. Stir to combine.
Make Batter: Slowly pour pumpkin mixture into the large bowl of dry ingredients, stirring to combine. Stop stirring when ingredients are just incorporated. Do not overmix. Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish.
Bake: Place the pan into the oven in the middle rack. Bake for 28-33 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove the pumpkin bars from the oven and place on a cooking rack.
Decorate: In a small microwave safe bowl, add white chocolate chips. Microwave on 50% for 30 seconds. Stir and repeat until the white chocolate is almost completely melted. Stir until it's all melted. Do not overheat. Spoon white chocolate into a piping bag or a small sandwich bag. Cut the corner tip off the bag. Drizzle the white chocolate onto the cooled pumpkin cake. Sprinkle with chopped pecans. Cut into squares and serve.
Store these easy pumpkin bars in a ziplock bag or in an airtight container with a lid. Store on the counter for up to 2 days. Freeze for up to 3 months.
Frequently Asked Questions
You do not need to refrigerate these pumpkin bars.
Yes! These pumpkin bars freeze well! Freeze for up to 3 months.
More Recipes You'll Love
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs (room temperature)
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 15 ounce can of pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup white chocolate chips
- ½ cup pecans (finely chopped)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add flour, pumpkin pie spice, ground cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Add eggs to a medium bowl and whisk until fully combined and frothy. Add sugar, brown sugar, pumpkin puree, vanilla extract and applesauce. Stir to incorporate.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients. Stir until fully combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and bake for 28-33 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove cake from the oven and place on a cooling rack until completely cooled.
- For the topping: Add white chocolate chips to a small bowl and microwave for 30 seconds on 50% power. Stir and repeat this process until chocolate is smooth and fully melted. Transfer white chocolate to a small sandwich bag. Cut off one corner of the bag and drizzle onto cooled cake.
- Immediately sprinkle finely chopped pecans over the white chocolate drizzle. Slice and enjoy!
- Store cake bars in an airtight container for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
- The bars are not overly sweet. If you’d like a sweeter treat, mix ½ cup white chocolate chips into the batter prior to pouring into the baking pan. Or increase both of the sugars to ⅔ cups each.
- These bars are moist but hold together very well. They can simply be sliced and picked up to enjoy.
- These would be a great addition to school lunch boxes, for fall bake sales, even added to the breakfast table during the holidays.
- Swap out the white chocolate and pecans for your favorite cream cheese frosting and serve as a delicious Thanksgiving cake.