These cookies are for serious s’mores lovers. Homemade smookies are warm chocolate chip cookies topped with a golden toasted marshmallow, dark chocolate and a Hershey’s chocolate square. Don’t forget the graham cracker crumble sprinkles! This chocolate chip s’mores cookies recipe is an award winner! But if you love warm gooey gourmet s’mores cookies and s’mores you’ll also love this s’mores chocolate chip cookie skillet or these banana boat s’mores.
Why You’ll Love S’more Cookies
- Flavor: The homemade chocolate chip cookie is the perfect base for the roasted gooey marshmallows and a melted chocolate square. This is a delicious way to serve individual s’more desserts. A smookie tastes like a campfire s’more in your home! This is one of the best s’mores dessert, ever! You can’t beat chewy s’mores cookies!
- Nutrition: Under 350 calories per serving.
- Time: Prep time takes only 5 minutes! No cooking involved.
- Equipment: This recipe requires an ice cream maker. Optional: Freeze in a loaf pan for easy scooping.
- Diet: Vegetarian, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Keto
This s’mores cookies recipe is based on the best chocolate chip cookie with toasted marshmallows, chocolate and graham crackers on top. Full ingredient amounts and instructions for these chocolate chip s’mookies are in the recipe card below.
Pantry Ingredients: sugar, brown sugar, cornstarch, baking soda, sea salt, semi-sweet chocolate chips (or substitute milk chocolate chips or dark chocolate chips), large marshmallows (or substitute mini marshmallows), graham crackers, Hershey bar, dark melting chocolate, maple extract .
Refrigerator Ingredients: unsalted butter, whole eggs
- Marshmallows: In a pinch you could use a small spoonful of marshmallow cream instead of marshmallows.
- All-purpose flour: Substitute gluten free flour to make this recipe gluten free. Make sure your baking soda, cornstarch and melting chocolate are also gluten free. Use gluten free graham crackers or omit.
- Maple extract: Substitute for vanilla extract, if you prefer.
If you love this s’mores recipe you’ll enjoy these banana boat s’mores.
Experience the joy of baking at home with these DIY gourmet s’mores cookies recipe. This easy and quick s’mores cookies recipe brings the magic of campfire treats to your kitchen. Learn how to make s’mores cookies in the full step-by-step instructions are in the recipe card below. You can print or save to Pinterest for later.
STEP 1: In a mixing bowl, mix together the soft butter and sugars using an electric hand mixer or stand mixer and a paddle attachment or whisk attachment. Cream together until very smooth.
STEP 2: Add the eggs and maple extract to the mixing bowl with creamed sugars. Beat until well mixed.
STEP 3: In a separate medium or large bowl, mix together the all-purpose flour, cornstarch, salt and baking soda by hand or on very low speed.
STEP 4: Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing until just fully combined. Add the chocolate chips and mix gently.
STEP 5: Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour. Remove the dough from the refrigerator. Preheat the oven to 350°F and let dough sit for and hour.
STEP 6: Roll the dough into 12 equal balls. Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Make sure they are 2″ apart so they don’t spread and cook together.
STEP 7: Bake the chocolate chip cookies in the oven for 8-10 minutes until they are light golden brown. Remove from the oven.
STEP 8: Turn oven to broil. Cut a large marshmallow in half. Place two marshmallow halves on top of each chocolate chip cookie. Put into the oven and broil for 1-2 minutes until you have a toasty marshmallow.
STEP 9: In a microwave safe bowl, melt the melting chocolate for 30 second increments on low power until the chocolate is melted. Stir between sessions. Add the melted chocolate to the smookies. No need for a piping bag, just spoon the melted chocolate on top of the marshmallow.
STEP 10: Sprinkle some graham cracker crumb sprinkles on top of the melted chocolate. Top with one Hershey’s chocolate square. Hold it on the hot cookie for a few seconds so it starts to melt into the cookie and holds in place.
Tips For The Best Chocolate Chip S’mores Cookies
- Don’t skip the chill! This cookie dough works best when it’s been chilled at least an hour before cookie. The s’mores cookies recipe is built on a delicious chocolate chip cookie recipe you’ll want to make on it’s own next time.
- Keep an eye on the cookies when they’re under the broiler roasting the marshmallows. They go from golden to burned very quickly.
- Use dark chocolate melting chocolate for the chocolate drizzle on top.
- Eat while they’re warm for the best flavor or save for up to 4 days on the counter in an airtight container.
Freshly baked or cooled, these homemade s’mores chocolate chip cookies are always a hit. Best served with milk to offset their sweetness. The good news is these store well in case you can’t eat them all right away.
To store, put these delicious chocolate chip cookies with marshmallows, chocolate, and graham crackers in an airtight container. or ziplock bag on the counter or a cool dry place for up to a week. These do not freeze or refrigerate well.
Remember, these smookie cookies are a great spin on classic camping desserts. Perfect for kids’ parties, camping trips, and indoor s’mores cravings!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
S’mores are a traditional campfire treat popular in the United States and Canada, consisting of a roasted marshmallow and a layer of chocolate sandwiched between two pieces of graham cracker. The name “s’more” is a contraction of the phrase “some more,” as in “I want some more,” reflecting how enjoyable and addictive these treats can be.
Typically, a s’more is made by first roasting the marshmallow over the campfire until it’s warm and gooey inside. Then the marshmallow is placed on a piece of chocolate, which is laid on a graham cracker. The heat from the marshmallow melts the chocolate a bit, and another graham cracker is placed on top to form a sandwich. The resulting treat is a delightful mix of sweet, crunchy, and gooey textures, often enjoyed while sitting around a campfire.
Yes, they do! This recipe toasts them under the broiler to get them a nice toasted brown, as if you roasted over a campfire.
A smookie cookie (or s’mookie cookie) is a s’mores cookie. In this recipe we make a chocolate chip cookie base with a toasted marshmallow and chocolate on top, sprinkled with graham cracker crumbles. Smookies are delicious!
“Smookies” or “s’mookies” describes a s’mores cookies recipe, which is a cookie that incorporates elements of a s’more, such as marshmallows, chocolate, and graham crackers. It’s a new term created for fun! Another fun fact, Smookies Kitchen is also the name of a restaurant unrelated to these cookies!
Chocolate Chip S’mores Cookies Recipe
Chocolate Chip Cookie
- ¾ cup unsalted butter softened
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg room temperature
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon maple extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 12 large marshmallows cut in half
- ⅛ cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 Hershey's chocolate bar
- ½ cup dark melting chocolate
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugars using an electric hand mixer or stand mixer. Mix until it's very smooth.
- Add the eggs and maple extract. Beat until well mixed.
- In another medium or large bowl, mix together the all-purpose flour, cornstarch, salt and baking soda.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing until just fully combined.
- Add chocolate chips and fold in with a spatula.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator. Preheat the oven to 350°F and let dough sit for 15 minutes.
- Roll the dough into 12 equal balls. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Make sure they are 2" apart so they don't spread and cook together.
- Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes until the cookies are light golden brown. Remove from the oven.
- Turn oven to broil.
- Place two marshmallow halves on top of each chocolate chip cookie. Put into the oven and broil for 1-2 minutes until the marshmallows are a light golden brown color.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the dark chocolate melting chocolate for 30 second increments on low power until the chocolate is melted. Stir between sessions.
- Spoon a tablespoon of melted dark chocolate onto the toasted marshmallow on top of each cookie.
- Sprinkle with some graham cracker crumbs.
- Top with one Hershey's chocolate square. Hold it onto the hot cookie for a few seconds so it starts to melt into the cookie and holds.
- Allow the chocolate to set then eat!
- This dough needs to be chilled, so make sure you work that extra hour into your preparation time!
- Keep an eye on the cookies when broiling the marshmallows. They get golden really quick and you don’t want them to be overdone.
- Cookies will keep for 4 days in a container or in a ziplock bag.