Make homemade donuts with this easy recipe using cake mix. Donut recipes don't have to be complicated! This perfect donut has the perfect balance of pumpkin, sweetness and pumpkin spice flavor. Best of all, this oven baked pumpkin spice donut recipe can be made from start to finish in 15 minutes.
Donut or Doughnut?
The short answer is, yes. The words are used interchangeably. You are making both pumpkin spice donuts and pumpkin spice doughnuts. It is generally a regional difference. In the United States we mostly use the word donut but you can see the other version around as well.
Why You'll Agree These Are Best Pumpkin Spice Donuts
- Flavor: This rich and creamy ice cream is better than store bought! The mild mint flavor isn't overpowering. This ice cream in mint chocolate chip ice cream's better sibling!
- Nutrition: Under 350 calories per serving.
- Time: Prep time takes only 5 minutes! No cooking involved.
- Equipment: This recipe requires an ice cream maker. Optional: Freeze in a loaf pan for easy scooping.
- Diet: Vegetarian, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Keto
MAKE THIS: Love pumpkin cake recipes? This Pumpkin Cake (from scratch) has chocolate chips and a yummy cream cheese frosting. Or try this healthier pumpkin cake option by making these Pumpkin Bars With White Chocolate.
For a full printable ingredients list and instructions for this pumpkin cake donut recipe are in the recipe card below.
- 1 box yellow cake mix — Use a gluten free cake mix if you are making gluten free pumpkin spice donuts.
- 15 ounce can pumpkin purée — This is not canned pumpkin pie puree. Or you make your own homemade pumpkin puree.
- 1 teaspoon pure maple extract — This is not maple syrup. Find it in the spice aisle near vanilla extract. You can substitute vanilla extract if you prefer.
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice — Or make your own pumpkin pie spice and substitute ⅛ teaspoon each of ground cinnamon, ground ginger, and ground nutmeg plus a pinch each of allspice and ground cloves.
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- ¼ cup white sugar or brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
Powdered Sugar: ½ cup powdered sugar
Maple Glaze: 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, ⅓ cup pure maple syrup, 1 cup powdered sugar, ¼ teaspoon maple extract
This recipe using a metal donut pan to form and and make a baked donut. You will not have to cut donuts (but you also won't get donut holes, sorry!). Use a donut pan with 6 donut forms. You can also make mini donuts with a mini donut form. Adjust cooking times accordingly.
You will also need a plastic piping bag or a gallon-size ziploc bag for piping the batter into the donut form.
Full step-by-step instructions for baked pumpkin spice cake donuts are in the recipe card below. You can print or save to Pinterest for later.
Prep: Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly grease a donut tin and set aside.
Mix Dry Ingredients and Wet Ingredients: In a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix, canned pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, maple extract and ground cinnamon. Mix with a hand mixer or electric stand mixer until the batter is smooth and lump free, about 1-2 minutes.
Fill Pumpkin Pan: Pour or scoop pumpkin donut batter into a piping bag or a large ziploc bag. Twist the top of the bag to get all the pumpkin batter down to one corner. Snip the corner with scissors to make a large hole. Squeeze batter into the donut pan, only filling about halfway full.
Bake Donuts: Place the donut tin into the middle rack of the oven. Cook for 5-7 minutes, or until a toothpick is inserted into the donut and comes out clean and the donuts are a golden brown.
Cool Donuts: Remove donuts to a wire cooling rack.
Top Donut With Cinnamon Sugar Mix: Mix the sugar and cinnamon topping together in a small bowl. Set aside. Melt butter in a small microwave safe bowl. Dip the top of the donut into the butter. Immediately dip the donut into the cinnamon sugar mixture. Shake lightly to remove excess.
Top Donut With Powdered Sugar: While donuts are warm, place powdered sugar is a small paper bag or container with a lid. Add a donut and close tightly. Toss the donut gently to coat with the powdered sugar. Repeat with additional donuts.
Top Donut With Maple Glaze: Heat a small saucepan over low heat. Add the butter and maple syrup. Whisk to combine. Once melted, remove from heat. Slowly add the powdered sugar and maple extract, whisking to combine. Allow the glaze to thicken for a couple minutes then dip the top of each donut into the glaze. Set the donuts on a paper towel or back onto your wire rack and allow the icing to harden.
Tips For The Best Homemade Pumpkin Donuts
- Do not overfill the donut baking pan or donuts will puff up while baking and spill over the top, giving your donuts a muffin top look.
- Top the donuts before they are completely cooled. Eating warm donuts is the best!
- If using powdered sugar you can opt to skip the butter and place the donuts in a container with a lid. Add the powdered sugar and gently shake the donuts to coat in sugar.
Serve your baked pumpkin spice donuts while they're warm with a cup of coffee or hot cocoa. Warm donuts are always best! These make a great breakfast or brunch recipe but you can also serve them as a dessert.
MAKE THESE: Is it the easy recipe that appeals to you? Make these easy Pumpkin Spice Cinnamon Roll Muffins using refrigerated sweet roll dough. They're delicious.
Place leftover donuts into a ziploc bag or an airtight container with a lid. Store at room temperature for 3-4 days. You can also store in an airtight freezer-safe container for up to 3 months.
Microwave for 5 seconds to reheat.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! Use a gluten free cake mix to make these donuts gluten free.
You can use this donut batter to make donut holes (doughnut holes). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Using your piping bag, pipe a round blob onto the parchment. Bake as recipe indicates. These will cook quicker than whole donuts.
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 15 oz canned pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp maple extract
- ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 tbsp butter (melted)
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375° F and grease a donut tin. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon and maple extract. Mix with a hand held mixer until better is smooth and free of lumps.
- Scoop batter into a piping bag and pipe batter into the donut tin, only filling about halfway.
- Bake for 5-7 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Mix the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Melt butter in a microwave safe bowl. Dip the top of the donut into the butter then into the cinnamon sugar mix. Set on rack.
- Serve while warm.
- For other toppings (powdered sugar and maple glaze) see post instructions above.
- Do not overfill the donut pan.
- Store the leftover donuts in an airtight container for up to 4 days at room temperature.