This pumpkin spice chex mix recipe is full of all your favorite goodies! It's perfect to serve this holiday season as a Christmas white chocolate chex mix recipe or a Halloween chex mix recipe. You might have heard someone call this Christmas crack Chex mix. Make it in the air fryer in under 15 minutes or toss in the oven for just 45 minutes.
Why You'll Love This White Chocolate Chex Mix Recipe
- Main Ingredients: Rice Chex, caramel popcorn, cinnamon cereal, pecans, pretzels, white chocolate, toffee, butter and spices! It's delicious any time of year, but especially during autumn.
- Time: Prep time takes only 5 minutes! Cooking in the air fryer takes 10-12 minutes or in the oven for 45 minutes. Then just top with your white chocolate!
- Equipment: Use an air fryer or your oven.
- Diet: Vegetarian, Gluten Free (see notes for gluten free instructions)
TRY THIS: If you love this Christmas chex mix recipe try this Pumpkin Spice Cinnamon Roll Muffins made with sweet Hawaiian roll dough.
For a full printable Christmas snack mix ingredients list and instructions for this pumpkin spice fall Chex mix are in the recipe card below. You can use all of these simple ingredients or just use the ones you like and substitute the rest. I recommend only substituting the dry ingredients. I don't recommend substituting butter for vegetable oil or coconut oil.
- 2 cups Rice cereal. Use Rice chex cereal squares or your favorite sturdy rice cereal.
- 2 cups Regular Pretzels. The twisted mini pretzels are the best for this recipe.
- 2 cups Caramel Popcorn
- 2 cups Cinnamon Rolls Cereal. If you can't find cinnamon rolls cereal, any cinnamon cereal will work.
- 1-2 cups Pecans halve - Substitute your favorite nuts if you prefer.
- 2 cups White Chocolate Chips
- 1 cup Toffee Bits
- ½ cup Butter
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Pumpkin Spice
- 1 tablespoon Maple Extract. Use real maple extract if you have it.
- 1 tablespoon Allspice
- 1 tablespoons Cinnamon
Additional add-in ideas: m&m's chocolate candy, peanuts, honey nut cheerios, corn chex, chocolate chex, wheat chex, mini marshmallows (add with the white chocolate chips), muddy buddies, or chocolate candies.
Is Chex Mix Gluten Free?
Chex mix is generally not gluten free but you can make a few easy substitutions to make it gluten free. The good news is that Rice Chex are gluten free and safe for (most) people with Celiac. You will need to buy gluten-free pretzels and gluten free cinnamon cereal. Those are usually easy to find in your local grocery store. Look for the Glutino brand or Snyders brand gluten free pretzels. Make sure the caramel corn and toffee you are using are gluten free. Most should be but it's always good to check. The rest of the ingredients are gluten free.
If you're making this Christmas white chocolate chex mix recipe for someone else who is gluten free, make sure your kitchen and work surfaces are completely clean and no gluten items have come into contact with them. You don't want your homemade gifts to make someone sick.
Is Chex Mix Peanut Free?
That depends! This white chocolate chex mix is not peanut safe. White chocolate may contain peanuts, no matter the brand you buy. If you want a peanut safe sweet Chex mix recipe I recommend omitting the white chocolate and any nuts. You could do a peanut free chocolate drizzle as a substitute.
Full step-by-step instructions for the white chocolate chex mix are in the recipe card below. You can print or save to Pinterest for later.
Prep: If you're using an air fryer, line your air fryer basket with parchment paper. If you're using the oven, preheat your oven to 250°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Make The Mix: In a small microwave-safe bowl, mix the butter, brown sugar, pumpkin spice, maple extract, allspice and cinnamon. Whisk and place in the microwave in 30-second intervals until the brown sugar has completely dissolved.
Pour the sauce mixture into a large mixing bowl. Add the Rice Chex, pretzels, caramel popcorn, cinnamon cereal, and pecans. Toss until it's fully combined.
Bake: Pour cereal mixture into your air fryer or onto your large rimmed cookie sheet. For the air fryer, cook at 300°F for 10-12 minutes shaking every 3 minutes. For the oven, cook for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Remove when the chex mix is starting to become golden.
Add White Chocolate: Remove from the air fryer or oven and allow to cool in a large bowl. Once cool, add 1 cup of white chocolate chips and the toffee bits. Stir to combine.
In a small microwave safe bowl, melt the remaining 1 cup of white chocolate chips. Microwave in 30-second intervals until the white chocolate is melted. Be careful not to overheat. I like to stop microwaving when the white chocolate chips are almost completely melted and stir to complete the melting.
Using a spoon, drizzle melted white chocolate over the top of the pumpkin spice Chex mix. Now you have the perfect combination of white chocolate, pumpkin spice and delicious Chex mix!
Alternative White Chocolate Melting Method: Use a double boiler to slowly melt your white chocolate over medium low heat. Remove from heat when chocolate is almost completely melted. Stir until it is melted. Then drizzle melted chocolate over your cereal mixture.
Alternative Drizzle Method: Spread your chex mixture onto wax paper in a single layer. Then drizzle white chocolate over the whole thing. This will help get more white chocolate drizzle all over.
Now you have the perfect Halloween Chex mix recipe, Thanksgiving Chex mix or Christmas Chex mix. It's perfect for any time you want some pumpkin spice and white chocolate!
Tips For The Best Holiday Chex Mix
- Use your largest bowl to make this mix. You'll be stirring and mixing and if you've got a large bowl you won't have to be picking up pieces off the counter as you stir.
- Don't skimp on the sauce. Use all the sauce, or make extra, if you prefer. It's the best part!
- Bake until the mixture is beginning to turn golden.
- Allow the Chex mix to cool before adding your chocolate chips and toffee bits or else then will melt. That's not bad, if that's what you want!
TRY THIS: Love this white chocolate snack mix? Try this white chocolate and dark chocolate Peppermint Bark recipe.
There are many occasions that would be perfect for this snack mix. Consider making it for one of these:
- office party
- school christmas party (note: white chocolate is not peanut safe)
- any holiday season event or holiday party: this is the perfect Christmas mix, Thanksgiving mix or Halloween mix!
- football party
- after school snack
- teacher gift
Pour your mix into a large gallon-size Ziplock bag or any zipper bag to store easily. You can also use any airtight container. Store at room temperature for up to 5 days.
Frequently Asked Questions
We love cooking this Chex mix in the air fryer. Make sure your recipe is the right size for your air fryer. If you have too much, just cook in batches. Line your air fryer basket with parchment paper and cook at 300°F for 10-12 minutes, tossing every 3 minutes. Remove from the air fryer when it is golden.
No, do not rebake this Chex mix. The white chocolate and toffee bits will melt and you'll have a bit of a mess! On the other hand, if that appeals to you, go for it! Warm it on in the oven on a large baking sheet at 250°F or in the air fryer for a few minutes.
- 2 cups rice cereal (like Rice Chex)
- 2 cups pretzels
- 2 cups caramel popcorn
- 2 cups cinnamon rolls cereal
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 2 cups white chocolate chips
- 1 cup toffee bits
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp pumpkin spice
- 1 tbsp maple extract
- 1 tbsp allspice
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- In a microwavable bowl add butter, brown sugar, pumpkin spice, allspice, ground cinnamon, and maple extract. Whisk and place in the microwave in 30-second intervals until the brown sugar has completely dissolved.
- In an extra-large bowl add the melted butter mixture.
- Add in rice cereal, cinnamon roll cereal, mini pretzels, and pecan halves.
- Stir everything together.
Air Fryer Instructions
- Line air fryer with parchment paper. Place in the air fryer and cook at 300 degrees for 10-12 minutes shaking every 3 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 250°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread the Chex mixture into an even layer on the baking sheet. Bake, stirring every 15 minutes, until the mix is lightly browned and crisp, about 45 minutes.
Add White Chocolate
- Remove from the air fryer or oven and allow to cool in a large bowl.
- Add in 1 cup of white chocolate chips, and toffee bits.
- Add an additional 1 cup of white chocolate chips to a small microwavable bowl and microwave in 30-second intervals until the chocolate is completely melted. Be careful not to overheat. I like to stop microwaving when the white chocolate chips are almost completely melted and stir to complete the melting. Drizzle the melted white chocolate over the pumpkin spice Chex mix and allow to cool.
- When making a Chex mix make sure to use the largest mixing bowl you have. Since this makes more than one serving a large mixing bowl really helps when coating everything completely.
- Try adding caramel chips or even semi-sweet chocolate chips to this if you wish.
- To make this gluten free, use gluten free pretzels and all gluten free cereals (Chex is gluten free). Make sure your toffee and popcorn are gluten free.