DIY Peacock Costume Tutu Tutorial

Make a peacock tutu!! Tutorial on andreasnotebook.com

Let’s make a gorgeous Peacock Costume! This peacock tutu is so simple to make and takes no sewing skills! In fact, you could even just blue this all together! This fun peacock tutu could be used for Halloween, birthday parties or just everyday dress up!

Thanks for this great DIY Peacock Costume tutorial from Shwin & Shwin

Peacock tutu tutorial! andreasnotebook.com

With fun bright colors and a scattering of “peacock feathers” going down the back. The tutu is nice and full in the back and bare in the front to mimic the look of a real peacock. So would you like to make one yourself?

Supplies:

Peacock costume tutorial:

1. Make a tutu . I used THIS tutorial for mine. I only put the tulle in the back of the band leaving the front empty. I did brown and tan on the sides and then it faded to blue and green in the middle. I did this to closely mimic the peacock feathers.

2. Make some feathers for the back. I started by cutting out the base of the feather in brown felt and then I cut out the shapes for the “eye” looking part of the feather. I used lime green, teal and royal blue felt for the pieces.

Make a peacock tutu!
3. Stitch the feathers. Sew the green piece to the brown piece by sewing around the edge, and then sewing lines outward for detail on the feather.

Make a peacock tutu!
4. Glue the blue pieces on the feather. Use your glue gun to glue the two blue pieces on to the feather. Alternatively, use fabric glue.

Make a peacock tutu! Make a peacock tutu!

5. Tack the feathers scattered on a ribbon.
Make a peacock tutu!! Tutorial on andreasnotebook.com

6. Sew the ribbons to the back of the skirt on the elastic.
Make a peacock tutu!! Tutorial on andreasnotebook.com

Then you are done with the peacock tutu!

Make a peacock tutu!! Tutorial on andreasnotebook.com

It’s ready for your little one to flounce around in all day for dress up fun, or for the perfect little halloween ensemble.
Make a peacock tutu!! Tutorial on andreasnotebook.com

Where she is sure to look like a darling little peacock.
Make a peacock tutu!! Tutorial on andreasnotebook.com

Thanks for this great DIY Peacock Costume tutorial from Shwin & Shwin

Or, consider buying Natural Peacock Tail Feathers
***note: these costumes are not for sale. Sorry, we are unable to make them for you.
75 DIY costume tutorials

Comments

This is sooo charming!!! GREAT great job! I shared this on my crafty facebook page : )
    Jaimee @ craft-interrupted.blogspot.com

2. Holly says

Oh I so want a peacock tutu for Halloween! I however am not crafty, nor do I own a sewing machine. Would you consider making one and selling it?

Hi holly, I likely won’t be making or selling these but you could easily make one without any sewing just a glue gun really. It would come together pretty easily.

4. Lindsay says

Hi! Do you have the measurements on how much fabric I would need to buy for the tshirt and tutu you made?

Hi Lindsay! For the tutu I used 5 yards total of tulle. 1 yard of each color. I didn’t tie the ribbon on I folded the top of the ribbon over the tulle band and stitched it in place. You could tie it if you wanted to just by tying a knot at the top. For fabric for the tee I used about 1/2 a yard for mine the directions for the top are found here:
    How much fabric you need will depend of the size you are making.
    I hope that helps!

6. Lindsay says

Thank you so much! I was also wondering if you took more than one color and tied them together? Sorry for all the questions! I’m just getting into all these fun crafty things. Ha Ha!

7. Diana says

Thank you! My larger plans for Simplicity’s Rapunzel costume aren’t going quickly, so I’m using this as my backup plan. My 5-year-old has helped me cut out the felt ovals and is very excited about helping on her own costume. We are loving this project!

8. Rebecca Preston says

Thank you sooo much for the inspiration! My daughter wanted to be a peacock and I had a heck of a time coming up with feathers for a skirt. I know she’ll love this!

9. Kristen says

Hi Shauna!
    I actually liked this project so much, I made one for myself for MY Halloween party. (I’m 24, who says you can’t be a kid when you’re all grown up?!)
    I don’t currently own a sewing machine, so I made do with a glue gun, ribbon, and hand stitching… a little more time consuming, but very fun.
    In addition to the tutu/bustle, I scavenged an old slip from a thriftstore, dyed and cut it to fit, tacked on a few eye feathers and embellishments on the front, and tadaaa… Peacock costume.
    Thanks for the inspiration!

10. Jillian says

I made a peacock skirt for my 1 year old daughter for Halloween this year. I made my own skirt but I used the feathers from this skirt on hers. It turned out great, and didn’t take me a long time. I loved how you looked at a real peacock and made these feathers. I got a lot of comments on it and the feathers looked very real! Thanks!!

11. Grazia says

Thank you for this …absolutely love it and so do my little girls. I made it yesterday and it turned out a treat…now to make another! Just in time for a dress up party on the weekend. Super cute.

This is absolutely adorable! I’m seeing an animal themed birthday party with my where the birthday girl is the peacock :)

13. Kathie says

This idea is so cute! I’d like to make it but am wondering how long the brown part of the feather is, so I get the right proportion. Do you have patterns for the feather parts?

14. Margaret says

Thank you for the wonderful idea. I made it but kind of cheated…..bought a blue, green, and purple tutu and then hot glued the feathers together and hot glued it to the tulle on the skirt. SOOO cute! Also added a feather to a head band, since they don’t allow masks at school. One costume down only 2 to go.

15. Carrie Fisher says

I know you made this costume last year, but where did you buy your daughter’s blue shirt. I’m having a hard time finding one that’s just solid blue. Thanks so much!!!!

I asked on your other post as well but just wondering if you pinned the feathers to the ribbon (and stopped there) or if you then glued or sewed them on the ribbon? Making this for my daughter–finished the feathers today and they look amazing! thanks so much for the inspiration!

17. Carrie Fisher says

Never mind…. Just realized that question was asked a couple times an you provided the website….. Thanks!

18. Kim Kauffman says

I’m making this for my two year old for halloween and she loves it. She keeps saying “it’s sooooo pretty”. Thanks for the inspiration!! I’m going to make a headband with a smaller version of the feathers on it because there’s no way she’d keep a mask on.

19. Alice Qi says

Just made one for halloween – thanks so much for the inspiration!!
    Oh, I should also add, I’m 22 :)

20. Michelle E says

Thanks for sharing your fabulous idea. I made one for my four-year-old and it turned out beautifully. I avoid the sewing machine as much as possible, so I just used some fabric paint for the lines on the feathers. The only issue we had was the weight of the feathers caused them to fall under the tulle. If I were to do it again, I’d use some of the heavier, stiffer tulle that I see in your skirt–I think the feathers would be more likely to sit on top. I paired it with a turquoise hoodie from Target, some brown leggings, and homemade feather headband and turquoise mask. The final result was awesome and homemade (and the not homemade parts can be added into the regular clothing rotation). Thanks again!

21. Neha says

Thanks for a brilliant tip and idea. I created this for my daughter’s first halloween and it was a perfect idea. I needed something that wouldnt come in her way while she crawls around and hampers her mobility (else she would not have been a happy trooper!) and this was just right! I am not at all the creative type and couldnt have done it without your “without a stitch tip”. Thanks for making our first halloween with our daughter so special and creating memories that we will cherish for a very long time. She sported it at 3-4 halloween events and it made it worth all the effort. I took your ideas a step further and made some wings with a fairy wings you get at a dollar store. I also gave her some feathers in her hair to give a look of the peacock crown. Here is a link to the pictures. …. of which you deserve a large part of the credit for. Many many thanks again and I will keep following your page for future brilliant ideas!!!

22. Ulrike says

This is soooo beautiful!!! I was looking for a costume idea for my 1,5-year old daughter … who might not wear the costume at all, considering her age. So it had to be something, I wouldn’t spend hours on … She loves wearing it and showing it off – so funny!