Sewing clothes can be so much fun if you’re sewing things you can’t get in the store. Vintage styles are always exciting to try. I’ve found a bunch of vintage sewing patterns you’ll want to check out. From dresses to skirts, tops or accessories.
Love vintage sewing? I’ve assembled a collection of over 45 free vintage sewing patterns, or I should say patterns that are vintage inspired. From vintage dresses to skirts, tops and swimwear, there’s something for everyone.
What is Vintage?
“Vintage” is a colloquialism commonly used to refer to all old styles of clothing. In its modern use, it often indicates that the item is at least 20 years old, while items a century old or more can be considered antique. – Wikipedia
WAIT! Does that mean something from 1999 can be considered vintage? I’m not sure I’m on board with that! That makes me feel way too old! For the sake of this post I considered vintage to be at least 30-40 years old or more. I don’t think a lot of people are ready to make vintage late 90’s things yet. Are you??
Vintage Dress Sewing Patterns
Everyone loves a good vintage dress! These dresses never seem to go out of style. I love a good 60’s style dress but these are all cute. How about that 50’s dress!
- Day Date Dress
- Garden Party Dress
- 1950s Halter Swing Dress
- 60’s Dress
- Boat Neck Full Skirt Dress Tutorial
- 50’s Style Swing Dress
- 1940s style button down playsuit sewing pattern
- 1950s sleeveless dress free sewing pattern
- easy vintage/modcloth inspired tee shirt dress
- 1940s fabulous button down asymmetrical pleat skirt free dress pattern
- 1960s wiggle dress mad men style free sewing pattern
- 1960s style sweetheart neck dress
- 40s style Grecian sun dress pattern
- Mad men inspired office girl dress free sewing pattern
- Mod Dress
- Jamie Shift Dress
Vintage Skirts, Pants and Shorts Patterns
Pair these with a simple tee or make a vintage top to go with them. I love the adorable sailor shorts or the cute wool skirt with pockets.
- Ruffled Hem Skirt
- Ruffled Pencil Skirt
- Gathered Drape Skirt with Pockets
- retro Sailor Pants, Skirt or Shorts
- full wool skirt with pockets
- sailor shorts
- 1950s high waist sailor shorts pattern
- gathered full skirt free pattern
- Circle skirt
- Novelty felt circle skirt
- Katherine Hepburn inspired wide leg trouser
- rockabilly retro skirt
- Knee Length 70’s Skirt
Vintage Top Patterns
I wasn’t able to find as many vintage top patterns but these are all really cute.
- vintage inspired button down blouse from The Stitching Scientist
- free vintage style portrait blouse pattern from Gertie’s New Blog for Better Sewing
- frilly blouse
- 1930’s blouse from Sewing Vintage
Vintage Outerwear Patterns
Have you ever worn a cape? These are so fun with your vintage dresses or skirts! And that Downton Abbey inspired coat pattern is adorable.
Vintage Lingerie and Foundations Patterns
Ooh la la! Vintage lingerie patterns!
- Madeline mini bloomers
- 1950s style high waist panties from Sew Vera Venus
- 1950s petticoat
- 1940s bed jacket and tap pants free sewing pattern
Vintage Accessories, Swim, Playsuits and Misc. Patterns
Vintage swimsuits are all the rage right now. Try these ones to see if you like them! Or make that cute vintage apron as a fun gift!