Sewing clothes can be so much fun if you're sewing things you can't get in the store. Vintage styles are always exciting to try. I've found a bunch of free and not so free vintage sewing patterns you'll want to check out.
From dresses to skirts, tops or accessories, there are lots of great patterns and tutorials available. I've organized them by type.
Love vintage sewing? I've assembled a collection of over 45 free vintage sewing patterns, or I should say patterns that are vintage inspired.
From vintage dresses to skirts, tops and swimwear, there's something for everyone. If you're a total beginner, consider starting on something easy like this envelope pillowcase tutorial. Then move to something a little more difficult like clothing.
In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different.
What is Vintage?
"Vintage" is a colloquialism commonly used to refer to all old styles of clothing. In its modern use, it often indicates that the item is at least 20 years old, while items a century old or more can be considered antique. - Wikipedia
WAIT! Does that mean something from 1999 can be considered vintage? I'm not sure I'm on board with that! That makes me feel way too old! For the sake of this post I considered vintage to be at least 30-40 years old or more. I don't think a lot of people are ready to make vintage late 90's things yet. Are you?? The free vintage sewing patterns are a little more vintage than the 90's.
Free and not so free vintage sewing patterns
The lists below were originally compiled many years ago. I've been trying to update and ad patterns as I find them. Sometimes patterns and tutorials that were available before are no longer available. I try to remove those when I discover them.
Because of this, I've added some paid patterns over time. I hope you enjoy them all!
(not so free) and Free Vintage Dress Sewing Patterns
Everyone loves a good vintage dress! These dresses never seem to go out of style. I love a good 60's style dress but these are all cute. How about that 50's dress!
Some of these are definitely vintage and some are more vintage "inspired". Some are free and some are not so free vintage sewing patterns.
- Day Date Dress (photo above)
- Garden Party Dress
- 1950s Halter Swing Dress
- 60's Dress
- 50's Style Swing Dress
Elegance is the only beauty that never fades.
I love that quote by Audrey Hepburn. "Elegance is the only beauty that never fades."
- 1940s style button down playsuit sewing pattern
- 1950s sleeveless dress free sewing pattern
- easy vintage/modcloth inspired tee shirt dress
- 1940s fabulous button down asymmetrical pleat skirt free dress pattern
- 1960s wiggle dress mad men style free sewing pattern
- Boat Neck Full Skirt Dress Tutorial (photo above)
- 1960s style sweetheart neck dress
- 40s style Grecian sun dress pattern
- Mad men inspired office girl dress free sewing pattern
- Mod Dress
- Jamie Shift Dress
Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only.
Vintage Skirts, Pants and Shorts Sewing Patterns
Pair these with a simple tee or make a vintage top to go with them. I love the adorable sailor shorts or the cute wool skirt with pockets.
Sometimes just pairing vintage skirts with vintage inspired shoes is all you need to complete the outfit. You can use a basic modern top and the outfit will still feel vintage.
- Gathered Drape Skirt with Pockets (photo above)
- Ruffled Hem Skirt
- Ruffled Pencil Skirt
- retro Sailor Pants, Skirt or Shorts
- wool shorts (photo above)
- sailor shorts
- gathered full skirt free pattern
- Circle skirt
- Novelty felt circle skirt
- Katherine Hepburn inspired wide leg trouser
- rockabilly retro skirt
- Knee Length 70's Skirt
- 1950s high waist sailor shorts pattern (photo below)
Vintage Top Sewing Patterns
There are so many super cute vintage inspired top patterns. From ruffles to puff sleeves there are cute details that give them a little extra style.
Pair a cute vintage top with modern jeans and you'll still love the vintage feel. Or pair with vintage shoes, like I mentioned above.
- frilly cotton sleeveless blouse (photo above)
- vintage inspired button down blouse from The Stitching Scientist
- Peasant Silk Blouse (photo below)
- free vintage style portrait blouse pattern from Gertie's New Blog for Better Sewing
- 1930's blouse from Sewing Vintage
- Blouse Jacket (photo below)
Vintage Outerwear Patterns
Have you ever worn a cape? These are so fun with your vintage dresses or skirts! And that Downton Abbey inspired coat pattern is adorable.
- Fringe Cape (photo above)
- Waist-length cape
- Downton Abbey free coat sewing pattern from Sew Daily
- Checked Cape (photo below)
Vintage Lingerie and Foundations Patterns
Ooh la la! Vintage lingerie patterns!
- Madeline mini bloomers
- 1950s style high waist panties from Sew Vera Venus
- 1940s bed jacket and tap pants free sewing pattern
- Vintage Bustier (photo above)
These vintage swimsuits are all the rage right now. Try these ones to see if you like them!