Lasagna is my absolute favorite meal. As a kid my mom knew to make an extra pan so I’d have leftovers. I could eat that for days in a row and not get tired of it. I still make a recipe that is very close to how my mom makes lasagna. Over the years we’ve made a few changes to make it a little quicker and, I think, tastier. This really is the best italian sausage lasagna recipe I’ve tried.
I usually quadruple the recipe and, after putting together all the lasagnas, freeze 3 of them. Last time I made lasagna I made 4 small individual size lasagnas as well so the kids can pull them out of the freezer and cook them when they’re craving lasagna.
This is four layers. I love a good six or 7 layer lasagna but if I make it that thick it’s just more than we need for one meal.
- 1 lb bulk Italian pork sausage (mild)
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (28 oz) tomato sauce
- 12 no boil lasagna noodles
- 1 (15 oz) ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a large pot, cook sausage, onion and garlic over medium heat, stirring and breaking up the sausage occasionally, until sausage is no longer pink; drain the grease.
- Stir in 1 tablespoons of the parsley, the basil, sugar, tomatoes and tomato sauce. Heat to boiling, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low; simmer uncovered about 45 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Heat oven to 350ºF.
- In medium bowl, mix ricotta cheese, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, remaining 1/2 tablespoon parsley and the oregano.
- Spread 1 cup of the sauce mixture in ungreased 13×9-inch (3-quart) baking dish. Top with 3 lasagna sheets (more if your sheets are small). Spread 2/3 cup of the cheese mixture over noodles; spread with 1 cup of the sauce mixture. Sprinkle with 2/3 cup of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat with 3 lasagna sheets, 2/3 cup cheese mixture, 1 cup of the sauce mixture and 2/3 cup of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat with 3 lasagna sheets, remaining cheese mixture, 1 cup of the sauce mixture and 2/3 cup of the mozzarella cheese. Top with remaining noodles and sauce mixture. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Cover; bake 30 minutes. Uncover; bake about 15 minutes longer or until hot and bubbly. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting.