If you’re like me you salivate when you see crispy potato recipes. I saw this crispy roasted potatoes recipe on Tiktok and had to try them. She calls them Hasselback waffle potatoes. They’re crispy buttery parmesan roasted potatoes cut in a waffle pattern. I made a couple tweeks to the recipe but for the most part they’re the perfect crispy parmesan potatoes. If you’ve never tried potato squares (Hasselback waffle potatoes) then you’re missing out.
Table of contents
- creamy mashed potatoes
- crispy smashed potatoes
- crock pot mashed potatoes
- sew a microwave baked potato bag
Crispy Roasted Potatoes Ingredients
- Potatoes: I prefer to use large baking potatoes for these. You could always try a yellow or red potato as well.
- Butter: Use unsalted butter.
- Fresh Herbs and Spices: Fresh parsley and garlic are preferred.
- Dried Spices: Add oregano, salt and pepper to the garlic butter.
- Fresh Parmesan: Grate fresh parmesan.
Hasselback Potato Squares Tips
If you are planning to cut your potato squares in advance you can store them in salted water in the refrigerator to prevent them from browning. Drain and pat dry before using.
Allow potatoes to cool completely then store in an airtight container. Refrigerate for up to 3 days. Reheat in the oven.
Crispy Parmesan Potatoes Instructions
Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Step 1: Peel and flatten each side of the potato.
Step 2: Cut the potato into squares about ½″ thick. It doesn’t have to be exact.
Step 3: Make horizontal cuts all the way across one side of the potato. Do not cut all the way through. In the video she uses a chopstick to stop her knife from cutting all the way through. This give them the Hasselback waffle potato shape.
Step 4: Rotate the potato and cut slits the opposite way, making a grid pattern.
Step 5: Make the garlic butter by mixing the rest of the ingredients. Reserve. half to use later.
Step 6: Spread the potato squares out on your parchment paper. Brush the potatoes with the garlic butter mixture on all sides of the potato.
Step 7: Bake for 20 minutes. Open the oven and baste the buttery parmesan potato with more garlic butter. Bake for about 15 more minutes.
Remove the crispy roasted potatoes from the oven and set on an absorbent paper towel to soak up excess grease. Garnish with more fresh grated parmesan and fresh parsley.
Buttery Parmesan Potato TikTok Video
Video not loading? Click here to watch on TikTok.
Hasselback Crispy Potato Squares
- 2 Russet potatoes
- ¼ cup unsalted butter melted
- 2 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- 2 teaspoon garlic minced
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pinch fresh ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- 2 tablespoon fresh grated parmesan
- Peel and flatten each side of the potato. Cut into squares ½" thick.
- Make horizontal cuts all the way across one side about ¼” thick. Do not cut all the way through. Rotate the potato and repeat cutting the opposite direction to make a grid pattern.
- Make garlic butter by mixing the rest of the ingredients. Place potatoes on parchment paper on a baking sheet. Brush top and bottom of the potatoes. Do not use all the garlic butter.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes. Brush with butter and bake 10-20 more minutes.
- Garnish with more parmesan and parsley.