5 tips to organize your small sewing space

5 tips to organize your small sewing space!

Do you have a small sewing space? Maybe just a little corner in your bedroom or the dining room? These tips will help you maximize your space and create a place you’ll love sewing!

1. Utilize vertical space.

Think: shelves, pegboards, thread holders, etc. You can store a lot of supplies by going UP!

Small Sewing Space Tip #1 of 5

Source: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

2. Keep your frequently used supplies at hand. Store the rest.

You may have 300 yards of fabric but that doesn’t mean you need in all on display in your space. Keep the fabric and supplies you’re likely to use on a regular basis somewhere you can get to quickly. Put the rest in your closet/garage/basement.

Small sewing space tip #2 of 5 : Keep a few supplies on hand. Store the rest!Sources: 1234567

3. Think outside the box.

Get creative with your space! Have a hall closet? Hang your fabric, or even put your desk in there! Hang your ribbon, or put it in a straw container! Use magnet strips to hold your scissors or containers of buttons!

Small sewing space tip $4 of 5 : Think outside the box

Source: 1234567

4. Fold up, fold down, store away.

Your sewing space is visible to your friends, neighbors and family so think about functionality when in use AND when it’s not in use. Fold down tables, curtains that cover messes and places to easily hide your machines are perfect for small sewing spaces.

small sewing space tip #4 of 5 : fold it up, cover it or store it away!

Source: 1234567

5. Multipurpose is your friend.

If you’ve got a sewing desk, put a cutting mat on top and make it a cutting table as well. Add a ironing mat and call it an ironing board. You get the idea. There’s no reason you can’t do it all in one space!

Small sewing space tip #5 : Multi-purpose is your friend

Source: 123456, 7

Comments

Whoa! I don’t think I’ve ever seen so much valuable information in ONE post! Thanks so much for featuring my filed fabric. Off to dive into these gems you’ve collected…and then pin, pin, pinning away!

Cheers,
    Lauren

2. Gretchen Jaspering says

I craft and sew as well as build doll houses so I got some great ideas on how to manage all my STUFF!

3. Theresa M says

This is making my head spin, in a GOOD way….LOL LOL
    Can’t wait to apply some of these ideas to my sewing rm….
    Thank You ‘sew’ much!!

4. Sandra says

What is the fabric wrapped around and stool up? Very neat, tidy and you can see it all. Storing fabric can be overwhelming!!! Love all of the spaces.

5. Judy A. says

We just moved some things around in our home and I acquired a bookshelf. The sturdy oak one I’m using for heavy quilting books and other favorite books. The less sturdy one I’m storing fabric wrapped on comic book backing cardboards. I have it organized by colors and looks so pretty on the white shelves. Many are my older fabrics and not for current projects but it was fun “finding” them again and petting them as I folded them onto the cards. I’ve cleaned out two 3 boxed that were stacked in a corner and three piles of newer fabrics that were stacked in a cupboard under some project bags. My husband and son really think it looks nice and maybe won’t give me a hassle for buying more! I’ve nearly filled the shelves but I gleaned lots of usable space elsewhere!

6. Donna says

This is wonderful! Dh and I will be moving into a small apartment and I will have maybe 1/3 of the space I have now. Thanks so much for all of your ideas!

7. Cathy says

Great ideas! I luv luv luv the sewing machine cover on the 1st page…do you have the pattern to share? Thanks!

8. Yurani monsalve mendez says

Andreas, Gracias, por tanto esmero en comunicar tantas practicas bellas para ordenar nuestro hogar, aun espero el mio propio, mientras laboro para ordenarlo de esta manera. Gracias por devolverme la esperanza. La esperanza es es hacer continuo a cada paso para concretar nuestros sueƱos. Besos Yurani.

I HAVE NUMEROUS FABRICS, ALL 5 YARDS OR MORE, I CURRENTLY HAVE THE MATERIAL ROLLED ON CUPBORD SUCH AS AT THE FABRIC STORES. I BELIEVE DOING THIS IS TAKING UP TOO MUCH SPACE, EVEN THOUGH THERE IS 5 OR MORE YARDS EACH. ANY IDEA’S? I LIKE THE HANGER IDEA, YET I’M NOT CERTAIN THIS WILL WORK ON MY YARDAGE?

I CAN USE SOME SUGGESTIONS