Handmade Costumes: A Series

I'm so pleased to announce this year's Handmade Costume Series!! You'll find all your favorite bloggers sharing DIY costume ideas just in time for Halloween and Holiday gifts! Check back all through September and October for all the costume tutorials you could need! Don't forget to check out all 26 costumes from last year's series!

Handmade-costume-large

Want to share this series with your readers? Grab a button

Updated list of this year's costume tutorials:

Conductorhatphotos-0370 Photobucket mermaid piglet150 square eye patch Chefshat-walle batman rapunzel-084 raincloud8 elephant-costume caveman ruffleump owl butterfly alice in wonderland cheshire cat madhatter 1 hedgehog 1 cowboy 1 Ninja-header-thebirdstitlephoto 1 david button nesting dolls bee 1 barbie 1gnome 1 jasmine square jailbird square goingbattyheadband button dorothy costume gnome- costume giant lollipopdino costume DIY magicians hat olivia costume nacholibre ladybug-title upside down man treatbags

Will you be making any costumes this year?

Comments

I have half of Halloween off this year. Last year, it was vampire pumpkins. Year before last, it was Foofa. This year, my SIL pre-planned and got Halloween costumes 90% off at Target, and Grace is taken with a bat costume because it lights up. SAme SIL has fallen for a costume she saw that somebody else made a few years back that was pinned on Pinterest, and has requested an owl costume for Nicole. Lucky me, Simplicity has a pattern, so I’ll just be altering that one to work! (The inspiration one has feathers, the costume one doesn’t, so I told her I may recruit her to cut out a million feathers to sew on the “wings”)

My daughter wants to be a princess and my son wants to be Bumble Bee of Transformers so I will only have to make one costume :) looking for inspiration at this point.

We are debating between Princess Buttercup and the Dread Pirate Roberts from the Princess Bride (My 10 and 12 year-old still like to wear matching costumes) or I was thinking about making my daughter a Marie Antoinette costume because I already have all the stuff to do it, and it seems more fun and challenging (and she LOVES the idea of a powdered wig) but that means I don’t know what to make for my son. (every year is a negotiation with them because they want to match, but they each want to be what they want to be, so they have to convince the other to be what they want.)

I am working on a whole set of Alice in Wonderland costumes for an art show in October. Ironically, none of these are for my kids. My youngest (8) wants to be a DJ, carrying a portable turntable. The other two (10 and 12) haven’t decided yet.

I love that they still coordinate! I think the last time we pulled that off mine were 1, 3, and 5 (eight years ago).

So my daughter wants to be a pink elephant (not much of a surprise, but frankly I was hoping for a My Little Pony!) and my son…hm…I’m not sure what I’ll force him to be. :) Looking forward to the inspiration from this series! And PS – your logo/button is AWESOME!

We are still in the “change our minds every day” stage of the costume picking cycle. Considering tomorrow is September, I may need to just start making a few for them to choose from.

We don’t celebrate Halloween, but we’re nerds so we’re going to our comic convention Supanova in November :) My son and baby daughter are going to be Jango + Boba Fett and I’m going to be Harley Quinn. I made myself the full costume a few years ago, but this year I’m going to a bit more laidback Harley, more breastfeeding friendly haha

9. Betsy says

My oldest wants to be a twizzler, but I haven’t figure out how to make it AND be something she can still wear to school all day when they do their parade.

10. Melanie says

Yes. I will be making a mermaid, a strawberry shortcake and a train conductor. Does anyone know where I could find a train conductor pattern?

Yes! Yes! Now that my daughter is going to the daycare, I’m so excited about making her a very special costume. So far I’m leaning towards Ariel, but we will see.

12. Dawn says

You could have your son go as CAKE in reference to the line attributed to Marie Antoinette: “Let them eat cake”. Or if you are okay with some henchman humor…he could go as a guillotine..on second thought, that would be too much.

Thank goodness I am done. I made a Red Angry Bird (S2788 size 4), Black Angry Bird (size 14 pillowcase dress) and Firestar (from Spiderman and His Amzing Friends B5660 size 5-6). I am loving these post and marking some things for later dress up. I think it would be cool to make the bumble bee reversible with a ladybug on back for dress up. I think everyone has done a great job and admire the creativity. Well done!!!!!

14. danielle says

my daughter is bugging to be a peacock this year. so i’m following yours and attemping to make her look good. my son i’m still undecided (maybe a boy riding in a hot air balloon)but i like making the costumes myself. i’m just not that talented.

I’m currently halfway through a cupcake costume. I’m having difficulties because the directions I’m using were for a kiddo twice as big as my daughter, but it’s coming along. Love the selection!

I wish I still had a machine that worked! My daughters purchased their costumes for their children this year, but maybe next year one of them might make the mermaid costume.

This will get you found online for the local
    search engines. A good landing page website is essential in creating customer conversions.

By including a byline or a few lines of text at the
    end of the article about your business, you can expand your online presence and capture a larger market share of customers.