Tutorial by: Patchwork Posse
This microwave bowl potholder actually goes into the microwave with the bowl. It sits in there are twirls and when it’s all done you grab a hold of the pot holder, not the bowl!
The corners point out just a bit and are perfect to get a grip on.
- batting- 100% cotton only
- backing fabric
- fabric scraps
1) Cut your backing and batting to 10 1/2″ square
2) Lay your fabric scraps on top of the batting and stitch using the quilt as you go technique.
3) Trim either the front of the backing 3/4″ larger on each side.
4) Fold the edges over twice to bind the sides.
5) Fold the square in half diagonally.
6) Measure from the corner and stitch to box pleat the corner– measurement is around 2″ – 2 1/2″ depending on how deep you want the bowl to be.
7) Repeat on all 4 corners- check the size of the bowl to make sure it fits. Make any adjustments to the corners now if you need.
8) Flatten the corners down and stitch to secure- this will give you those little handles.
9) Place your bowl inside and microwave. The potholder bowl can go into the microwave- no problem. When you need to remove the bowl, hold onto the little handles to keep your fingers from getting burned.