submitted by: Becky Jorgensen
This is a quick and simple tutorial for a bunting decoration for nurseries, girl’s bedroom, craft fair displays, and more.
- Rotary cutter
- fabric for flags
- 1 package bias tape
1. Decide what size you want your triangles to be, for this bunting I made each side of the triangle measure 6″ long with a 1/4″ seam allowance included, so my finished triangles are about 5.5″ long. Draw your triangle onto cardstock and cut out. (Or you could also cut out onto freezer paper).
2. Using your cardstock triangle trace out onto your fabric. You will need two triangles to make one finished flag. So for mine I cut out 18 pieces.
3. Wrong sides together sew two triangles along the two side edges. Clip the corner and trim close to the point. Repeat with the rest of the triangles.
4. Turn right sides out and press. Optional: Topstitch along the two sewn edges. If topstitching, press again. Repeat for all triangles.
5. Open up the bias tape. Fold the short ends of the bias tape in by 1/4″ and press. Stitch in place.
6. Decide on the layout you like. Leave 1″ gap between each triangle. Baste the triangles to one edge of the bias tape in the order you like.
7. Fold the bias tape over and sew along the entire folded over edge.