Tutorial by: Becky Jorgensen
The apple core mug rug is perfect for giving to others during the holidays or a house warming gift. The fake binding helps make it sew up even quicker. The blocks are quilted super simple and a whole bunch of these can be sewn in an afternoon.
- fabric for the apple core
- apple core template
- batting- 6″ X 6″ for each mug rug
- backing- 7″ X 7″ for each
1) Cut our 2 light and 2 dark apple cores, using your template.
2) Find the center of one end and one valley and pin together.
3) Pin the ends together.
4) Sew along the end.
5) Repeat with other 2 light and dark pieces.
6) Lay flat the pieces and iron the curve.
7) Take the two pairs and match the center seams. Pin in place.
8) Iron open and trim the squares to 6″ X 6″ – the curved sides will be cut off.
9) Layer the batting behind the top. Center on top of the backing.
10) Quilt with your machine around the curves.
11) Fold the backing to the front and iron to set.
12) Fold the outside edge again and sew in place.
13) At the corner- open the fold, and then fold at a diagonal. Then fold the next side twice as before and continue sewing.