In the hunt for a granola bar recipe that isn’t full of sugar and wheat/dairy, I stumbled upon tons of really healthy recipes. Tons. And then we combined a few recipes and made some unhealthy ones. And they’re the best thing ever. We call them granola bar cookies because they taste so good. And they’re gluten free and dairy free so they’re great for people with Celiac Disease or gluten sensitivities.
These are basically an oatmeal cookie with extra oatmeal. We’re all fans. Not the healthy grab-n-go snack I was looking for but I’ll take it. I probably took too many.
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup coconut oil (substitute butter if you prefer)
1/4 cup honey
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup gluten free flour mix
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups certified gluten free oats
1 1/4 cups gluten free crispy rice cereal (we used Gluten Free Rice Krispies)
1/2 cup ground flax
1 cup dairy free chocolate chips (we used Enjoy Life mini chips)
- Cream together the brown sugar and coconut oil.
- Add the honey, vanilla and egg. Mix together well.
- Blend in the flour, baking soda and salt.
- Stir in the oats, cereal, flax and chocolate chips.
- Press mixture into a greased 9×13 baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-22 minutes
- Cool completely before cutting into the bars.
Wrap individually and store in pantry for snacks and lunches!