Hi. I’m Andrea and I’m a fabric hoarder.

If you’re on facebook you might have seen my new photo. Just one of many I took during Fabric Weekend. It was amazing, by the way. 20 super fun bloggers and no drama whatsoever. Just fun shopping and lots of eating. By me, anyway.

Fabric-weekend-facebook-tttc-photo
I bought a lot of fabric. I’m stocking up since I’ll be moving away from Los Angeles soon. That’s what I tell myself anyway. I always get tons of knits. I go through those the most when creating a pattern. Stripes. I can never get enough. I love all the geometric prints everyone else was buying but I just didn’t have the vision for any.

So my question for you is, are you a fabric hoarder or do you just buy what you need with a specific project in mind? What type of fabric do you seem to collect the most?

Comments

Both. I’m a hoarder at heart, but I try really hard to to buy what I need. Or maybe I just fool myself into thinking I need it for a project. HA! Either way… I have a TON of fabric. Oh man… I wanna do this with you guys next time. I live in San Diego and I’d love to join in if you’d have me! :)

*ahem* My name is Laura and I am a fabric hoarder. I figure I have enough to sew just with my stash for at least three years. I buy with bargains and I probably have the most of woven cottons followed by knits. I’m doing my best to sew just from the hoard for a while….

I am a sporadic hoarder. I have trouble walking past the remnants bin at Joann’s without buying something. My stash is pretty small though — I can only squeak out a little bit of $$ from my budget, unfortunately!

I almost never have a project in mind when buying fabric. I usually stock up and then look at my stash when I have a project in mind. Every few months I put myself on a spending freeze saying I need to sew through my stash.
    I’m going to have to look at your Facebook page to see what fabric you bought!

I tend to hoard really bright patterned woven fabric for some reason. I think if I had better in person access to fun knits I would be way more likely to have a stash of it!

6. Tanya B says

You should definitely stock up. It is going to be hard to find any close to the deals you find in LA. I tend to hoard knits …. I have a lot of stripes and polka dots. It is more of an obsession really!!

My name is Bethany. I am a fabric hoarder. I make my self believe I need all of it, and that I will have time to use all of it, whether I have a vision for it or not. This past weekend was so hard to pass up so much. But, I knew if I wanted peace in the home then I would have to say no to some fabrics.

8. Rachel says

I try to hide the fact that I’m a fabric hoarder by saying I know what I’ll do with the fabric I buy, but it’s usually something general, like a bag or a dress for my daughter. Sometimes I control myself and only buy what I need with a specific need for it but then I usually end up regretting not buying more, haha. All it takes is one look at my fabric closet-it’s a walk in closet that used to be home to all the hobby supplies in the house, but now its wall to wall fabric, with at least 4 big, bulging totes in the garage loaded with more fabric….wow, yeah, I can’t deny it-my name is Rachel and I’m a fabric hoarder!

I buy A LOT of fabric. I really need to only buy what I need but when I see something pretty I envision it as a dress or a top and I just can’t help myself. Now the big question is, how do you keep your fabric stash organized? I’m always rearranging mine.

Ha ha ha! This is the big debate in my house. My husband swears I am a hoarder, but I DO have a project in mind each time I buy something! Unfortunately, a lot of the time my projects don’t actually end up getting made… I need better organization too so it doesn’t look as much like hoarding :)

11. Heather C says

Yes, I am a fabric hoarder… My husband won’t really even step into my sewing room any more…basically a room for fabric storage with just enough room to get to the machine and ironing board. I buy mostly cotton quilter fabrics, since I’m a quilter first. I have a few knits as I’ve ventured out a bit. Oh, yeah, and many “in progress” projects…

i’m definitely a fabric hoarder. i usually buy cotton. if i find a really great print, then i’ll usually buy at least a yard. it only takes a yard to make a skirt so i know i can make at least that. when i do finally get around to sewing, i usually want to buy more to choose from :)