Using Freezer Paper to cut out patterns {a tutorial}

Welcome to The Train To Crazy! If you find this tutorial useful I hope you'll subscribe, follow me on twitter, facebook or Google+! Don't forget to check out Make It Wear It, the weekly blog party to showcase all those clothing items and accessories you've been making.

I find that using Freezer Paper when sewing from a pattern makes life a little easier.

• You don't have to cut up your pattern piece
  • You don't need to pin the pattern or use paper weights to cut it out
  • You can easily reuse the traced pattern piece saving valuable time

So, here's how it's done!

Fp 1

Fp2

Fp3

Fp 4
To date, the most I've re-ironed a single pattern piece has been 10 times. I think it still has some life left in it as well so I'm sure I will be able to continue ironing it on for projects to come. Considering it takes less than a minute to iron a pattern piece on and cut it out, I'd consider this a success! And did I mention no pins or paper weights? What's not to love?

Do you use Freezer Paper to cut out pattern pieces?

Comments

1. Kendra says

Oh.my.goodness. Beginner sewer here, and one of the reasons i don’t sew more is my fear of patterns and pattern paper. and pinning. thank you to the moon and back.

2. Sascha says

I didn’t know freezer paper would last that long! I have my own brand of lazy. I lay weights on my pattern piece but don’t trace it. I just start cutting. This doesn’t work with super fussy patterns, but it gets the job done with most.

3. clo says

I love using freezer paper too.
    So Andrea now you have made it over to Oman, what a global gal you are. I just made your Go-To Dress the other day and loved it. I posted it on my blog and Mayya then told me you were guest blogging in her site. The world is a small place!

4. Zura says

This is very convenient! I could totally relate to the pain of pinning patterns to the fabric before cutting…Unfortunately, over here that Reynold’s freezer paper is not easily available :(

5. Leandre says

One word: brilliant. Good buy, pattern-ease, pins and curses. hello, freezer paper! Thanks for the tip!

6. Jocelyn says

What a great idea! I’m a beginner at sewing, so I’ve never tried this. It makes so much sense. I’m going to have to do this with my next pattern! Thanks!

7. jess @ ifonlytheywouldnap says

i am having one of those “duh!” moments right now! what a great idea – thanks so much for sharing it! i have used freezer paper for so many other things, but never patterns. this will definitely stay in place much better than paper.

8. Crystal says

Dude, I am going to have to do this. It would make those pieces with curves (which are a PAIN) super easy to cut out! Thank you so much for this tip!

9. Misty says

What a great tip! I will be doing this for sure! I don’t like tissue paper patterns because they get all wrinkly and are hard to cut around. This solves that problem perfectly…I think it will help me be much more precise in my cutting too! Thanks!!!

10. Leslie Schmidt says

I’ve used freezer paper to cut out felt, but I never made the connection to tracing tissue paper patterns. Thank you so much! I know the accuracy will improve 10 times over.

11. michele says

I wonder if you can send freezer paper through my printer? I resize mitten patterns for all the kids in my family which I usually use just reagular printing paper, so freezer would be great LOL going to have to try it out.

12. Holly says

Thank you! I’ve always wondered how people used freezer paper for patterns. I thought it would be too thick to see the pattern through – haven’t even tried it. I use waxed paper for things I want to cut out in different sizes…gonna have to try the freezer paper now.

13. Hilda says

WHAT!!! How have I never heard of doing this before! Thank you Andrea, I am so buying some freezing paper TODAY.
    Also… really really looking forward to sewing for winter in November!!!

14. mom2fur says

Get out! Pinning and cutting is something I really don’t like to do, so I’m definitely going to give this a try. And I even have the freezer paper! Awesome (the idea, not having the freezer paper)!

15. Jmomakes says

Love, love, love this!!! I too am a beginner and this is a life saver in so many ways. I have used it for a couple of patterns I got from Etsy (PDF’s) and had great success, but now it is so easy to use that I’ve made my own designs! The thought of it being cheap and easily obtainable gives me confidence too. My sister is SUPER jealous as she lives in the UK and they don’t sell it there.

16. Chesla says

I use freezer paper to copy all of my patterns, but I was unaware that you could iron it to the fabric!!!!!! It’s amazing…. I will definitly be using this from now on… Thanks so much for sharing!!

17. Jodie says

Thank you so much for this tip. I have sewn for 40 years and would have loved to have learned this a long time ago! You gave me a new “wrinkle on my brain”, Thank you.

18. Kristen says

OOOHH the possiblities this just gave me!! I am so going to start doing this! Thanks for the tip

19. Michele N says

Okay this is awesome! I’ve used pattern play or thin interfacing to trace tissue patterns so I can get multiple sizes out of one pattern(thanks to a good friend) but never would of thought of this. Luckily I haven’t traced out my pattern yet for my newest project which I plan on making at least 5 times very soon so this will be great.

20. cucicucicoo says

what a fantastic idea! i never would’ve thought that you could re-iron it. thanks so much for sharing. this will be a lifesaver, especially with knits! :) lisa

21. Melissa says

I wonder if pdf patterns can be printed into freezer paper that way I wouldn’t need to face it on. .hmmm….brb.. :-)