Sewing Clothes Kids Love

I recently bought a copy of Sewing Clothes Kids Love: Sewing Patterns and Instructions for Boys’ and Girls’ Outfits. When I opened the book I was overwhelmed by great color and design. I’m pretty sure the title is spot on as well.

Sewing clothes kids love

These are my first projects.

Blue pants and top 033
The Dortje pants & the Brooklyn tank.

Blue pants and top 034
Clearly the pants are long. I washed them and they shrunk up just enough that now they fit perfectly.

I followed the instructions pretty closely and the fit works well. I did eliminate the side seem allowances on the pants to accommodate my thin girl. The only thing I would do differently next time is make the tank longer. I added the ruffle on it because it was short. As a size 110-116 I assumed it would fit my 106 cm little girl. Guess not. The tank is great, just needs a bit of length. I’ll definitely be making more. I really love the pants. They are a bit labor intensive when you add so many details but I think it is worth it in the end.

The book really encourages you to embellish and use ruffles, gathers, ribbons and appliques. These pants don’t look much like any of the examples in the book, which is part of the beauty of the book. So many possibilities in each garment.

I give the book two thumbs up. I especially love that the patterns go up to a size 11/12 and includes some unisex patterns. So, if you love sewing kid’s clothes, grab yourself a copy of Sewing Clothes Kids Love.

Blue pants and top 032

I’ve also sewn the Insa Skirt from this book. See my review here.

Comments

1. Leisel says

Oh! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this book! I have spent hours already tracing pattern pieces, but haven’t finished yet– can’t wait to make these pants! Yours turned out SOOOO cute!
    Leisel
    Brown Paper Packages

2. marisa says

So glad to see you post this. I recently bought the book and was a little overwhelmed. But now seeing someone else tackle it I think I can too!

3. Carolina says

Beautiful! You did a great job! I remember when I was younger, there were not many clothing stores in our small town. I always loved it when my mother made my clothes, because they were unique – nobody else in the school would be wearing the same thing!
    I hope you’ll stop by ExpectMoore and add this project to the Pocket Week Linky Party:
    Carolina

4. Andrea says

I love the book and I love the outfit you made. What a cutie! I am on the Feliz dress and I have noticed that the patterns are small so I measure the pattern pieces rather than going by the sizes!

5. Lila says

So adorable, and the colors are so bright and cheery! I have just stumbled upon your blog, and have enjoyed drooling over page after page… will be back for sure! Thanks for some great inspiration!

6. Ashlee says

I’ll have to check out the book! Thanks for sharing, this is so cute! Thanks for linking up to Topsy Turvy Tuesdays!

7. Melissa says

Such a cute outfit. It’s too bad our school district doesn’t allow tank tops or anything with spaghetti straps to be worn while school is in session.

8. Amy says

those are so cute and so is she! Thanks for joining us at “AP Tuesdays!” @ New Nostalgia! Hope to see you again tomorrow!

9. sarah says

i also have the book and fell in love with the fabrics, colors, whimsical patterns, & embellishments. i have to admit, though, i am overwhelmed. i’ve had my eye on the tank and the pants to try out first and, after seeing this, i think i will! they turned out beautifully! thanks :)