Sewing for baby

I ordered Anna Maria Horner's new book, Handmade Beginnings: 24 Sewing Projects to Welcome Baby a couple weeks ago and finally got around to sewing some of the projects from it this weekend. I have to say, I'm loving the book so far. There are a couple projects for maternity wear or nursing wear and the rest are baby clothes, toys and quilts. All of them equally eye catching.

I made the Cute-as-a-Button Booties

Booties
Definitely true to their name. I used a brown corduroy and a cotton plaid on the outside and a soft cotton knit on the inside. Would I make these again? Probably not. They are really cute, but I'm not a fan of how the inner sole was attached to the shoe. It is supposed to be fused in using a light fusible interfacing but it just didn't work well for me because of all the layers (probably just an issue for me since others have had success). I ended up sewing what I could in but since it is the last step I couldn't sew under the toes. If I could figure out a better way to insert the sole I'd definitely do them again.I

I also made the Baby-in-the-Hood jacket.

Hoodie 2
There is no baby in this hoodie so I have no idea how well it fits. But it is so cute I'm sure I'll be making at least one more, if not two or three of these in different sizes. I used a cotton plaid and a solid for the outer fabrics and a soft cotton knit for the lining. The lining of a baby's jacket should be soft, should it not? I love the toggles and buttons as a visual effect. For practicality I'll probably omit the toggles next time and opt for snaps.

Hoodie 1
Can't you just see a chubby little baby face in there?

Hoodie 3
He won't be old enough to sit in this chair when this jacket fits but it just looked so cute hanging there I couldn't resist. This jacket is size 6-9 months. I'll have to borrow a baby to check how accurate the sizing is.

Hoodie 4
And, now he's ready to head out for an adventure. Crawling, of course.

Linking here

Comments

Those are absolutely adorable!! Love the blue and brown together – Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm borrowing a baby – life is tough…but it will be even more fun when you get to put your own little guy in these!!

These turned out so nice. I didn’t think I’d need this book as we’re done with baby making, but maybe I do!

That is absolutely precious! I know what you mean about some things being hard to sew–check out my blog today and see the difficulty I had on an apron I made.
    But the results are what counts and this was certainly worth the effort.

4. Joanna says

Love the aqua and brown. That’s the colors we used for G’s baby room and bedding!

Very cute booties! I agree on the issues with the sole though, I had the exact same problem! Glad to know it wasn’t just me :) I ended up turning the slipper inside out and sewing them in by hand after fusing the batting on and putting a running stitch around the edge to pull it in as per her suggestion. Then I pressed them with the iron from the outside afterwards to stick them to the outer fabric. Worked fine but not exactly per the pattern eh? I should note that in my blog post about them actually, instead of giving the impression they went like a dream :) It’s a nice finish on the whole though, no exposed seams inside which I really like.

WOW! These turned out so stinkin’ cute! Love the plaid fabric! We are celebrating Baby Week this week… come check it out!

Adorable! Sorry to hear the little boots were a pain. I’m going to have to see about getting this book. I’m visiting from sugar bee. I hope you’ll visit me sometime!

8. Brittany says

so so cute! I love how those booties turned out! That Jacket is so sweet too. I love the colors you chose. I am visiting from Look What I Made. Come on over and check out my blog if you want.

9. meghan neuenschwander says

adorable andrea!! i made booties once and they were sooooo hard. your’s look great!

L.O.V.E. them!!!! I can’t imagine what it would be like to clothe a boy. I’ll have to learn from you. You know…just in case :)

I love the way that your jacket and booties turned out. The patterns are just so cute. If I have any more babies I am definitely going to have to try this one. Great fabric choices and happy sewing.
    Tricia leafytreetopspot.blogspot.com

You do some amazing work. The jacket is fabulous! Love the fabric combo and colors. Super cute! Thanks again for joining the Sunday Showcase Party! I greatly appreciate it. ~ Stephanie Lynn

13. Hannah says

Hi there
    I love your fabric choice. Can you remember where you got that plaid? It would be perfect for my little nephew! Thanks
    hharlaar at gmail.com

14. Krystal says

I am in LOVE with the reversible pants you made to go with these- I havent been able to find the book in a store so i can look at it, i was just wondering what sizes the patterns are. my little man is almost one, so i’d hate to order it if i cant use it long…I’m VERY inexperienced at sewing, so i’m not really very good at expanding patterns…