Clothing Sew Along: Week 1

Sew Along

Are you ready to get your machine doing this? (for more details about the Clothing Sew Along please read here)

ImagesLockstitch

Are you excited? Today I will be covering the very basics. You are in for a surprise. I'm doing this in video format because I can convey the most information that way. So bear with me! This is basics. Basics.

First thing is first. Do you have a machine? Do you know how to thread the bobbin and properly thread the machine and needle? If not, grab your manual (or visit uncle google) to learn how. Unfortunately, every machine is different so I can't tell you how to thread your machine.

Now make sure you have some basic supplies:

A spool of good thread. Dual duty cotton or polyester thread will work fine. Old thread tends to break easier and that will just cause you frustration.

Fabric scissors

Pins. I like the kind with the colored heads so I can see them better but any fabric straight pins will work.

Some scrap fabric. Woven cotton is preferable, stay away from knits and stretchy fabric when you are starting out. More on that next week.

A table and chair. It is important that your sewing machine is at a comfortable height for you. You'll be spending some time there shortly so make sure that when you are sitting at your machine you can comfortably put your foot on the foot peddle and use the machine without having your body in any awkward positions.

A new needle for your sewing machine. New, sharp needles will make you a better sewer. A dull or slightly bent needle will cause you major pains.

Okay! Let's get started! In the video I will discuss the straight stitch, back stitch, thread tension, stitch length, sewing a straight line, sewing curves, and seam allowances. I can't believe I made a video. It started out at 27 minutes and you can thank me that I cut more than half off! Wow, did I ramble! Are you ready? If you already know how to do theses things, you can save yourself and skip to next week :)

(if you are reading in a blog reader you'll probably need to click here to see the video)

What do you think? I'm sorry I didn't get the camera zoomed in a bit more in a couple places so you could see better what I was talking about.

Could you do this? The key is to practice. Any questions? Please let me know. You can leave a comment and I'll email you back or you can email me directly at thetraintocrazy (at) gmail.com.

Interested in learning more? I have learned a lot from the Sew Everything Workshop. Highly recommended.

Are you going to be joining me for this sew along? Leave me a comment and let me know! This week is rather basic but we'll be picking up speed in the next few weeks.

Please help me spread the word by putting this button on your blog. sew along button

Please add your blog to the MckLinky here so we can all come visit you! Happy sewing! P.S. I'm linking to DIY Day, Talented Tuesday, Show & Tell, Works For Me Wednesday

Comments

1. maryanne says

Andrea, I think this is awesome! I don’t know how much sewing along I’m going to get done given the current state of my children, but I’ll write a blog post to help publicize. =)
    And I love, love, love the animated graphic at the top showing how the typical sewing needle and spool of thread work together to create a seam.

2. El says

If I owned a sewing machine I might actually try this but I’m glad you started doing videos! My sister in law is trying to convince me to start doing some kind of tutorial. The only things I can do are baking or makeup. We shall see!

3. Heather@ My Frugal Family says

This is a great tutorial! I sew, but I’m kind of a novice. I had sewing in school as a kid (back on the cusp of doing away with Home Ec), and my Step-Mom taught me some stuff, but I get frazzled easily when things don’t go my way.
    Thank you so much for stopping by the Talented Tuesday at My Frugal Family link party, and adding this to the page! Don’t forget to stop back next week to see which links from this week are featured, and to add your new links!

4. Janell says

Great video – it’s always fun to see what bloggers really look/sound like on video. I’m glad this first week is pretty basic because I’m having “one of those weeks” … I hope to jump in with both feet next week!

5. Sarah @ Mum In Bloom says

Ok, I’m ready. I got my machine, some fabric, thread and I’m ready to learn more. THANK YOU for inspiring me! I’m really looking forward to reading more. You visited my blog so long ago & left a sweet comment, I’m sorry I took so long to make it to this site. Now let’s have some fun sewing together ;)

6. mom2fur says

I think it’s wonderful that you’re doing this. I’ve been sewing for years and I just love it. Do they even teach sewing in school these days? (We called it ‘Home Ec’!)
    Speaking of sewing scissors…my family knows that my fabric scissors are for fabric only…under penalty of DEATH. (Okay, not death, but they do know to leave them alone.)

7. Sharon says

I love that little cartoon that’s showing how the upper thread catches the bobbin thread on a sewing machine. My husband asked how that worked just the other day, now I’ll show him this! How DID you do that?
    This is a cool post, I’ll definitely link to it in a post on my blog too.

8. Aisa says

Your video is such a bless for me!!!!!!
    Saludos para ti desde Medellín – Colombia!!!!
    Besos…

9. ladiebuggg888 says

i am so glad i came acrossed this. i am a mom of all daughters. I just bought them all their very own machines. my girls are 10, 12 and 18. i have plans of them all sitting at the table with their machines and teaching them what i know (which is just what i have taught my self over the past few years.) so just so you know you will be co-teaching my girls lol.