25 Days of Giving

When I began parenting, I was challenged by some people to have goals for my children. These aren't the kind of goals that have to do with "success" or money or college educations, but goals about their character. I was challenged to think about what kind of people I wanted my children to become.

We want to raise children that are kind, loving, compassionate, thoughtful, passionate, bold, empathetic, happy, strong, patient, humble, etc. We want them to understand that they were born into privilege and with that comes great responsibility. We want to encourage our children to really be the people they were created to be.

We started the 25 Days of Giving in 2008 as a way of preparing our girls for Christmas. We want them to understand the true meaning of Christmas. It isn't just about waking up early and seeing what presents showed up under the tree. Christmas is about the birth of Jesus and the gift God gave to the world. Because of that, we celebrate by doing 25 days of activities to bless other people.

We want to encourage others to join us in our journey. Please consider starting a 25 Days of Giving with your family. In the coming days I will be giving you lots of ideas of ways to participate. If you are worried that this sounds like an expensive project, stop worrying! It doesn't have to be. I have many free and very low cost ideas to get your creative juices flowing!

UPDATED: Please read our list of FREE (and nearly free) giving activities as well as our slightly more expensive giving activities.

We'll be kicking our 25 Days of Giving off on December 1st. We've kicked off our 25 Days of Giving! Would you dare to join us? It isn't too late!

Comments

I’m definitely in for this. I even have a list of ideas that I wrote out the other day. I need to go back to your original list of ideas and see if I came up with any original ones =)

YES! I have been looking for something like this. This year with three under the age of 2 it may be interesting…but I really want to give it a try and see if it’s a tradition we could start and continue every year. I love your goals for your children’s character…mine too.

I plan to do this with my two year old son. A few other moms are also going to participate, and we plan to get together and do a few service type projects. We’re going to use advent calendars, but stuff each day with a little slip of paper with an activity on it. Thanks for the great idea, and food for thought.

4. Ella's Mama says

I’ve set up my 4-year old DD’s advent to have 25 days of giving. What a wonderful idea. Day #1: Give a flower to a friend.

5. Corinne says

My family has started this! We made a pie for the lunch ladies @ my kids school for day 2. Today we bought coffee for a stranger.

6. Ella's Mama says

Day #2: Donate a toy for a little girl less fortunate than yourself. (We took 2 toys to DD’s preschool today because they are doing a toy drive.)

7. Ella's Mama says

Day #3 (yesterday): Drop money in the Salvation Army bucket. We took $3 in quarters for Ella to drop…she put them in one at a time (cute).
    Day #4 (today): Draw a picture and send a card to a friend that you love.

8. Ella's Mama says

Day #6 (yesterday): Pray for families with sick children. (I am so thankful to have a healthy family!)
    Day #7 (today): Draw pictures and mail cards to the recovering soldiers.

9. Ella's Mama says

Day #9: Pass out food at the food bank. (We’re going with friends who have done this before and my DD will have her friend to be with.)

10. Ella's Mama says

Day #11 (yesterday): Drop money in the Salvation Army bucket (we did this once already).
    Day #12 (today): Give a flower to a friend that you love (we did this once already too).

11. Ella's Mama says

Day #13: Collect blankets and donations from the neighbors for the Humane Society.
    Day #14: Draw a picture for the grandparents and mail it to them.
    Day #15: Draw a picture and write a note of appreciation for your teachers.