Getting settled

It has now been 2 weeks since we began moving. I'm all done unpacking and all the pictures are hung. Now let me take a moment to laugh at that statement! I am not close to being done! Well, I'm close. The problem is (read: this is my excuse) I only have time when the kids are asleep and Maggie is transitioning to 1 nap and Daphne is in that middle ground between no nap and 1 nap so mostly just cranky. Then add that Maggie is working on getting 4 teeth right now and hasn't been sleeping well for a month so I've been going to bed at 8:30! OK, that leaves no time for unpacking. I'm pretty OK with that. There are things that should probably get done but we are definitely living in a livable space. Just odds and ends that need to be taken care of. In fact, what is up with a whole box of bathroom stuff?! I haven't needed it for 2 weeks, should I even open it? Well, yes, of course I should, so I can move that stuff onto a new shelf to sit on!

All kidding aside, I'm planning to get as done as I can this weekend so I can hire a cleaner to come in here and clean! No, I'm not kidding!

I'm loving the new place. The neighborhood is great. Well, not your neighborhood with nice manicured yards and long driveways nice, but nice because we have a great little park a block away. If that isn't great enough, we have a bakery with great cookies (and coke) 2 blocks away! I cut out coke for quite a while but I'm back on it. Want to hear about the next few blocks? An Irish pub, Chinese food, Japanese food, Thai food, American food, 2 pizza places, a deli, a little corner store, a CVS, a dry cleaners. Oh, and even better? Within a mile one direction is a Trader Joes, and if I walk the other direction I can get to a different grocery store. I never need a car again! Well, maybe in winter. I'm a bit scared of the winters here. People keep telling me how terrible they are… I'm afraid!

So, we've been busy exploring and enjoying the fall weather while we can. While everyone else is starting preschool this week, my girls are eating cookies on a park bench! Nothing better.

Are you enjoying this time of year where you are?

Comments

1. April says

We are loving this time of year here in the mountains of Virginia. The mornings here have been so cool, dark, and rainy so they kids are having a hard time getting out of bed in the morning. But the days have been absolutely beautiful! I love (almost) fall! Amelia is back to preschool, giving me time with the two little ones each day, which is really good for Tessa. The older two have been fighting like crazy lately so I like having a little separation between them. I love that you can do without a car for most daily tasks. You know, the cookies and Coke! I wish I could do that!

2. Megan T says

Ahh..I love New England (almost) fall. San Diego doesn’t get much fall until Oct/Nov and then I have to decorate to really get the feeling. But I am enjoying cooler weather after unseasonable 90′s. Your new neighborhood sounds great.

3. maryanne says

I can’t say I’m a fan of New England winters. I am loving the weather right now, though.
    Your location sounds great! We’re too far away to walk to anything, and it’s something I really miss.

4. Janell says

What part of the country are you in? Here in the AZ desert, it’s still VERY HOT, but at least we can see the light at the end of the tunnel. We’re enjoying some end-of-season swimming, but mostly looking forward to nicer weather when we can ride our bikes during the day, go to the park, etc.

5. Sarah says

i like the sound of your neighborhood! there’s nothing better than to be able to stroll to the store or bakery with the kids just to get out for a few minutes. our first winter in chicago was the biggest adjustment(getting used to putting on all those layers!)but after you realize what to expect, the following winters are easier to deal with. plus, it’s so beautiful in fall/winter!

6. 3mily says

this sounds great. i remember that in the old place you were commenting on missing sidewalks & walkability– now it sounds like you have more. and you, too, will come to love trader joe’s…. :-)

7. Andrea @ The Train To Crazy says

I’ve always like TJ’s and now that we have one close to us (and it isn’t one of the tiny cramped ones I have to worry about taking my kids to) I’ll be there more often. And yes, walkability is one of my neighborhood requirements. Except that once…

8. Lynn says

This post was fun to read. Your opening cracked me up! It is amazing to unpack a box after a month and think….wow, I really don’t NEED this stuff…