What’s the deal with mac ‘n cheese?

2350390351_6545f66c85_o.jpg

My kids love boxed mac 'n cheese. They like it with regular noodles (as opposed to rice or whole wheat) and the cheddar cheese flavor. More specifically, the orange cheddar cheese flavor. They'll eat most mac n' cheese dishes when we go out to eat. I slave away shredding cheese and boiling noodles to make our own mac 'n cheese and do they eat it? NO they do not. So tell me, how do you make the homemade stuff seem more like the powdery goodness they like? No baking? No flour? What's the secret?

Comments

I don’t bake it at all,just stovetop. Do a roux (equal parts flour & butter), cook it down, add milk, whisk, then add shredded cheddar – I use sharp, but whatever you like. I also add a couple cubes (about 1/4 cup) of pureed butternut squash – you can’t taste it. Then I let it thicken up and toss with noodles. If you want it more fluorescent orange, sneak in a few drops of food coloring ;)
    If you want to try it I can actually try to come up with measurements. I usually eyeball it.

I don’t know, but if you come up with something, please share it with us. For now, I use Annie’s instead of Kraft, but that can only appease my conscience so much…sigh…

Please do a post if you find an answer to this.
    My kids only eat Kraft’s Mac-n-Cheese. They don’t like ANY OTHER! I’d love a more healthy alternative.
    BTW I love that tee!!

Maybe you could add things they like to the homemade stuff to get them to eat it. We always add broccoli and chicken to ours.

I wish I had a T-Shirt like that. It’s really cute.
    Mac & Chese Recipe I use:
    8 oz pkg macaroni, 1/4 cup butter, 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, 1 1/2 cups milk, 1 tsp salt, 2 cups sharp cheddar
    1. Cook macaroni as directed omitting salt, set aside.
    2. Make a roux with butter and flour.
    3. Gradually add milk, cook over med-high until thickened & bubbly.
    4. Add salt and cheese, stir until cheese melts.
    5. Stir in macaroni and cook over med-low about 5 min.
    6. Enjoy!!

6. Megan Thompson says

Andrea…my mom had this dilemma with me too. She did NOT want boxed stuff in the house so she decided it was the color I was interested in, not the flavor. So she tried adding food coloring…somehow I just wasn’t fooled by the PINK mac and cheese. We still laugh about that one!

Megan,
    I was actually wondering what they would think of a crazy color. With these pink obsessed girls (where does that come from?) I have a feeling the color might fool them, for a moment.

Target Characteristics: These are characteristics that make reference to the person who receives and processes a message.
    Larger organizations tend to have stricter, expressly written rules on etiquette.
    * Ability to change others’ perceptions by democratic means.